- No new WPV case was reported in the past week.
- All 4 WPV cases this year  were reported from Eastern Region.
The most recent WPV1 case had onset of paralysis on [23 Jul 2013],
from Kunar province.
- No WPV3 has been detected in
- No new circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) cases
were reported in the past week. The total number of cVDPV2 cases in
2013 remains 3. The most recent cVDPV2 case had onset of paralysis on
[13 Mar 2013] (from
- Subnational immunization days (SNIDs) were held on [1-3 Jul 2013],
with resources focusing on strengthening campaign quality in Southern
and Eastern Regions.
- No new WPV case was reported in the past week. The total of WPV1
cases for 2013 remains 43. The most recent WPV1 case in the country
had onset of paralysis on [23 Jul 2013] (from Borno).
- The most recent WPV3 detected in
- No new cVDPV2 cases were reported in the past week. The total number
of cVDPV2 cases for 2013 remains one (with onset of paralysis on [6
Jun 2013], from Borno).
- The next subnational Immunization Plus Days (IPDs) are planned
across northern states in September .
- One new case of WPV was reported in the past week, a WPV1 from FR
Bannu in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas [FATA], with onset of
paralysis on [27 Jul 2013]. This is the most recent case in the
country and brings the total number of WPV1 cases for 2013 to 25.
- The total number of cVDPV2 cases for 2013 remains 12.
- FATA remains the major poliovirus reservoir in
both due to WPV1 and cVDPV2.
recent WPV case had onset of paralysis on [14 Jun 2012] (WPV1 from
total number of cVDPV2 cases for 2013 remains 4 (the most recent
cVDPV2 case had onset of paralysis on [12 May 2013] from Ennedi).
bringing the total number of cVDPV2 cases for 2013 to 3. This new case
had onset of paralysis on [19 Jul 2013] (from Extreme-Nord).
- Central African Republic (CAR) continues to be at serious risk of
re-infection due to proximity with
humanitarian crises, and destruction of health infrastructure. To
minimize the risk and consequences of potential re-infection, 2
subnational immunization campaigns were conducted in June and July
. A SNID is planned for September  and a NID for October
- 20 new WPV1 cases were reported in the past week in
the region had onset of paralysis on [30 Jul 2013] (from
- The outbreak is spreading geographically in
states reporting cases: Galgadud and Gedo. Anticipation of this spread
has driven intense vaccination activities across the country, in an
effort to raise immunity.
- WPV1 has been detected in 85 sewage samples from 27 sampling sites
sampling sites elsewhere in
the country. A sampling site in Tulkarem in the
reported a positive sample, collected on [30 Jun 2013]. No case of
paralytic polio has been reported in either
- To interrupt WPV1 transmission, a supplementary immunization
activity (SIA) with bivalent oral polio vaccine (OPV) targeting
children up to the age of 9 years was initiated in the southern
district of Israel during the week of [5 Aug 2013]; since [18 Aug
2013], the SIA was expanded to all of
with OPV is to boost intestinal immunity in children vaccinated with
IPV only in order to rapidly interrupt wild poliovirus transmission.
- Following the positive sample from Tulkarem, subsequent samples in
the West Bank and
begun for a vaccination response to the positive sample in the West
- No new WPV cases were reported in the past week. The most recent
case in the region was a WPV1 from Tahoua province in
of paralysis on [15 Nov 2012].
- One new cVDPV2 was reported in the past week from
province, with onset of paralysis on [11 Jul 2013].
reported a case of cVDPV since 2011. Genetic sequencing has shown that
the virus is related to those seen in
- Multi-country immunization campaigns are planned in
mid-October  and mid-November, as well as subnational campaigns
Communicated by: ProMED
In the past week since the last global update (20 Aug 2013), the number of cases of confirmed WPV associated disease has increased from 192 to 214. All but one of the newly confirmed cases have been outbreak associated, with the only new case confirmed from one of the 3 endemic countries (
The number of wild poliovirus (WPV) cases associated with the ongoing outbreak in the Horn of Africa (Somalia, Kenya, and now Ethiopia) has increased from 121 to 142 in the past week, with 20 newly confirmed cases in Somalia and one in Kenya.
Another worrisome occurrence is the continued spread of WPV northward in
The occurrence of cases of polio associated with infection with circulating vaccine derived polioviruses (cVDPVs) in
Phone: +27 (011) 025 3297
Fax: +27 087 9411350 / 1
Postal address: SASTM, PO Box 8216, Greenstone, 1616, South Africa
Physical address: SASTM, 27 Linksfield Road Block 2 a Dunvegan Edenvale
Registered as a Nonprofit Organisation 063-296-NPO
The content and opinions are neither pre-screened nor endorsed by the SASTM. The content should neither be interpreted nor quoted as inherently accurate or authoritative.
The information provided in SASTM Newsflashes is collected from various news sources, health agencies and government agencies. Although the information is believed to be accurate, any express or implied warranty as to its suitability for any purpose is categorically disclaimed. In particular, this information should not be construed to serve as medical advice for any individual. The health information provided is general in nature, and may not be appropriate for all persons. Medical advice may vary because of individual differences in such factors as health risks, current medical conditions and treatment, allergies, pregnancy and breast feeding, etc. In addition, global health risks are constantly evolving and changing. International travelers should consult a qualified physician for medical advice prior to departure.